I already made pan de sal before but I told myself I wanna do it again, and I want a perfect one, now I can say that this try is a success! Yes! I am proud to say, thanks be to God. Here is my recipe for this. Let me know if you will try this recipe either successful or not, so that I can share my experience and maybe I can help you in one way or the other. Thanks.
4 cups all purpose flour
2 egg yolks ( beaten)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup melted butter
4 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoon yeast ( about 10 grams) Take note YEAST not baking powder.
1 cup warm water with 1 tablespoon sugar
1. Combine the flour, sugar and salt, set aside.
2. Combine the warm water with sugar and yeast ( let it stand for 8 minutes allowing the yeast to be dissolved and grow) This is very important: use only WARM water, because if you will use HOT it will kill the yeast and your bread will not rise, it will be as hard as a rock (failed). If the yeast does not grow, discard it and repeat the process until you get the correct one. It should at least grow from the normal mixture.
|Mixture of warm water with sugar and yeast|
|Successful mixing of yeast and warm water with sugar|
3. Combine procedure 1 & 2 then add the egg and butter then mix well and knead it until you form a firm dough. A good kneading is very important for best result.
4. Let the dough rise for 40 minutes by putting it in a big deep bowl and cover it with a damp cloth.
|After 40 minutes , it doubles in size from the original dough|
6. Sprinkle each slice with bread crumbs then let it stand for 40 minutes allowing it to rise again, then bake at 150C for 15 minutes or until done. ( Preheat the oven for 10 minutes before baking)
7. Serve it hot and with a smile :-)
Note: Raising the dough in a cold place won't work so make sure you leave the dough in a room temperature area.