Friday, January 24, 2014

Hopiang Baboy



It's been a long time that I am looking forward to post a hopia recipe in my blog, because I have lots of friends who asked me a recipe for this, I do not know how to make it, so I talked to my friend who is an expert in hopia making, he has his own style of making it and it is consisted of 2 types of dough, the first part he called it PABALAT, the second part  he called it PALABO,  and here is his recipe.

Ingredients for Pabalat:
2 ¾ cups Bread flour
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup butter

Procedure for pabalat: Combine all the ingredients and knead until a good dough is formed. Set aside

Ingredients for Palabo:
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup corn starch
1/3 cup 3rd class flour

Procedure for Palabo: Combine all the ingredients and mix well. Set aside.

Ingredients for the Filling:

1 big onion
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp vinegar
2 cups pork fat diced
2 cups kundol (cut into small dice)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup third class flour

Procedure:
1.Marinate pork fat in sugar. Heat the vegetable oil then saute the onion then add the marinated fat, vinegar and kundol then simmer over slow fire until thick.Add flour when the filling is almost cooked. Mix well until fully combined and dry. Let cool.

To make Hopia
1. Flatten the PABALAT and put PALABO at the center. Roll and form into a ball.
2. Form the dough into cylindrical shape. Cut into 10-g portions.
3. Flatten each cut and place the prepared filling at the center then form into a ball. Press to flatten the dough.
4. Place the prepared hopia on a greased cookie sheet and brush with egg yolk.
5. Bake at 200C for at least 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.


Contributed by: Mr. Alex Adora





25 comments:

  1. kaya naman pala matindi ang pinanggalingan ng hopia eh..picture palang panalo na..hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to try this it seems sooo delicious!! Thank u for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ano po ang third class flour?

    ReplyDelete
  4. isang uri ng harina na ginagamit sa paggawa ng mga tinapay, hopis, etc, iba ang texture na naibibgay nito compare sa all purpose, cake flour, first and 2nd class flour, madali itong mahanap sa flour section ng supermarkets or bakery suppliers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ano po ba ang kundol?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Winter melon ang ibang name ng kundol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Po,
    Thank you for sharing the recipe. Meron lang po akong tanong, sabi niyo marinate pork fat in sugar, how long po? Then sabi niyo po "boil over slow fire" should I add water? how much?.
    Thank you po,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  8. for an hour, no need to add water, just simmer it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kung i.skip ko ang pork fat, meron paba ako dapat i.adjust sa measurement ng ibang ingredients? Tnx

      Delete
  9. Would you be able to share the complte preparation for the Winter melon / or Kundol filling used for the hopia,baboy, pls & Thx in advance S.. Thx in,advance

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello po ano po ang substitute ng kundol wala po kasi dito samin salamat po

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is not a simple recipe like you mentioned! Just saying.
      waipahu��

      Delete
    2. Where did you read that I mentioned this is a simple recipe?

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Sayote. I've made this recipe using sayote. Use same measurement. I am making this again using apples and onion. If people can use apples to make pork casserole (American dish) then you can use apples for hopia too. I think green papaya would work also. Good luck!

      Delete
  11. kung wala pong kundol pwede mo pong di na lagyan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kundol is winter squash...they are available all year in grocery stores. Butter nut squash is a good choice. Go online and look in Wikipedia to view pictures of the different varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ms. Mely meron po rin ba kayong recipe ng hopiang munggo?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made this hopia baboy today and it did not turn out too well. The combination of the butter & oil in the " pabalat" made my dough too sticky...which means I may have to reduce the quantity of both next time .The corn starch made the "palabo "somewhat grainy & crumbly instead of flaky after it was baked. I may have to improvise and use flour next time. The filling was too oily. I had to drain and remove the extra oil. I would guess the combination of the pork fat and vegetable oil made it so. The filling without the extra oil made it just perfect. This is a recipe that requires patience as it can become tedious when working with the dough that does not have the right consistency. I had to use extra care in forming the hopia because the dough was falling apart. One last thing, the hopia pastry had fissures or crevices on the top surface exposing my filling. My baking experience today was a disaster. However, I would like to apologize to Mely about my comments. But I thought I would share my experience so that none of you would go through what I had went through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ok I appreciate your comment Miss Zenaida, sorry for a disaster result, I posted this recipe from my friend because I believed in him but I don't have time to try it, really sorry, I will make hopia by myself if I have time and I will post it. In fairness to my friend Alex, he is an expert in making hopia thats why he can adjust what's lacking in this recipe. Thanks for letting me know about the result, I will talk to him so that we can adjust the recipe.

      Delete
    2. I had the same problem. The filling slightly burst out of each hopia because the pabalat had too much fat in it. But it was eatable and still had a nice shape to them. So the 2nd (3rd, etc...) time I made them, I have been using store bought pie crust. But I used the recipe here of the "palabo". It worked out well!

      Delete

Search This Blog