It's been a long time that I am looking forward to post a hopia recipe in my blog, because I have lots of friends who asked me a recipe for this, I do not know how to make it, so I talked to my friend who is an expert in hopia making, he has his own style of making it and it is consisted of 2 types of dough, the first part he called it PABALAT, the second part he called it PALABO, and here is his recipe.
Ingredients for Pabalat:
2 ¾ cups Bread flour
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup butter
Procedure for pabalat: Combine all the ingredients and knead until a good dough is formed. Set aside
Ingredients for Palabo:
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup corn starch
1/3 cup 3rd class flour
Procedure for Palabo: Combine all the ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
Ingredients for the Filling:
1 big onion
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp vinegar
2 cups pork fat diced
2 cups kundol (cut into small dice)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup third class flour
1.Marinate pork fat in sugar. Heat the vegetable oil then saute the onion then add the marinated fat, vinegar and kundol then simmer over slow fire until thick.Add flour when the filling is almost cooked. Mix well until fully combined and dry. Let cool.
To make Hopia
1. Flatten the PABALAT and put PALABO at the center. Roll and form into a ball.
2. Form the dough into cylindrical shape. Cut into 10-g portions.
3. Flatten each cut and place the prepared filling at the center then form into a ball. Press to flatten the dough.
4. Place the prepared hopia on a greased cookie sheet and brush with egg yolk.
5. Bake at 200C for at least 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Contributed by: Mr. Alex Adora